A Worksheet For Transitive and Intransitive Verbs provides transitive and intransitive verb exercises in order to learn to recognize the two functions of verbs.
Worksheet For Transitive and Intransitive Verbs
A worksheet is one of the best way to learn to recognize transitive and intransitive verbs.
Nevertheless, it is important to note these three tips in recognizing transitive and intransitive verbs.
- A transitive verb has a doer (subject) and a receiver (direct object) of the action.
- An intransitive verb has no receiver of the action.
- Linking verbs are always intransitive.
Furthermore, it is important to note the sentence pattern. Noting the sentence pattern will help you recognize the verb as transitive or intransitive.
|N – AV – N||Subject – Action Verb – Direct Object|
|N – LV – N||Subject – Linking Verb – Predicative Nominative or Predicate Adjective|
|N – AV||Subject – Action Verb|
Transitive and Intransitive Verb Exercises
When you are doing transitive and intransitive verb exercises, it is advantageous to do the following.
- Set off each prepositional phrase with parentheses.
- Cross out all adjectives (including articles) and adverbs.
- Mark the sentence pattern (see above).
- Indicate whether the verb is transitive or intransitive.
Examples of Transitive and Intransitive Exercises
1. The boys played cricket in the street.
2. Bradley locked the door of the house.
3. The dog is barking.
4. Rachel cooked dinner on Sunday.
5. The car stopped suddenly.
1. The boys played cricket in the street (played – transitive; direct object – cricket)
2. Bradley locked the door of the house (locked – transitive; direct object – door)
3. The dog is barking (is barking – intransitive)
4. Rachel cooked dinner on Sunday (cooked – transitive; direct object – dinner)
5. The car stopped suddenly (stopped – intransitive)
Of course, these examples are very easy to identify. Nevertheless, it will give you an idea of how to determine transitive and intransitive verbs.
Download Worksheet Link
To download the worksheet, click on Transitive and Intransitive Verbs Worksheet.
Resources For Worksheet For Transitive and Intransitive Verbs
English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy
Plain English Handbook by J. Martyn Walsh and Anna Kathleen Walsh
The Only Grammar Book by Susan Thurman
Mastering English Grammar by S.H. Burton